Untitled

« The People Behind the Video Games: David Cage | Eye Level Home | Mt. Rushmore: Seventy Years Old and We've Got Some Early Photos »

Picture This: In the Pumpkin Field at Lewes
October 31, 2011

In 1898, photographer James Bartlett Rich took this photo of his family and friends in a pumpkin field in Lewes, Delaware. It looks like a good time is being had by all, as they watch one of the women (the photographer's wife, Hazel) try (or at least pretend to) lift that giant gourd. His daughter, Sarah, is the one sitting on top of the pumpkin.

Bartlett began as an amateur photographer but by 1901, he set up his own studio in Philadelphia and became a successful commercial photographer, shooting the city's parks and public places. His photo of Fairmount Park in winter, became one of his most popular.

When I look at this picture—and perhaps I'll add it as the background on my desktop—I keep wanting to add a caption. Right now I've got "So, who does the heavy lifting in your pumpkin patch?" If you feel the same way and want to add a little bit of your own narrative to the story, suggest a caption in the comments field.

And, of course, Happy Halloween!

Posted by Howard on October 31, 2011 in American Art Here, Picture This