« Picture This: Behind-the-Scenes with Thomas Day, Master Craftsman and Free Man of Color | Eye Level Home | Jazz Appreciation Month: A Tribute to Dave Brubeck »

In This Case: Adventures in Haiku Writing
April 16, 2013

Luce Foundation Center

Hedda Sterne's Cauliflower in the Luce Foundation Center.

My friend and I have been trying to write haikus. It's harder than it looks! A haiku consists of three phrases and a set syllabic pattern, which changes depending on what type of haiku you're writing. It is usually inspired by nature and includes some sort of twist. I decided to browse the works on display in the Luce Foundation Center for poetic inspiration. After various attempts, and a lot of counting syllables on my fingers, I focused my attention on Hedda Sterne's Cauliflower, which her contemporaries often described as a "worm's perspective." I wrote this haiku with that in mind:

The worm's view of life
Reveals overlooked details
Surreal and lovely

I've been thinking a lot about my quest to write haikus since April is National Poetry Month. If the idea of poetry inspired by art appeals to you (there is an entire genre of writings inspired by art called ekphrasis), think about attending the museum's program, The Art of Poetry, on Sunday, April 21, at 1:30 p.m. Local poet Fred Joiner will discuss the written word and the visual arts, and you will have the opportunity to write and share your own poems inspired by artworks in the Luce Center. The program is open to all ages and poetic ability. Don't be intimidated by the idea of publicly writing poems—I will be trying my hand at it as well. Maybe I can add some free verse to my repertoire.

Posted by Tierney on April 16, 2013 in American Art Here, In This Case: Luce Foundation Center