Archives

« Cloudy, with a Chance of Music | Eye Level Home | Take 5! Storytellers and Crooners »

Luce Artist Talk: Anthony Cervino and Shannon Egan
August 13, 2015

Comparison of sculptures

What connections will Anthony Cervino and Dr. Shannon make between SAAM's artworks and Cervino's? Left: Charles Louis Hinton's Vanity and, right, an example of Cervino's work, Oihcconip

Each month, we invite local artists to the Luce Foundation Center to make connections between their artwork and our collection as part of our Luce Artist Talks series. One of my favorite things about this program is trying to guess which artworks in the Luce Center our guest will speak about based on what I know about their work. This month, sculptor Anthony Cervino and his partner and collaborator Dr. Shannon Egan will talk about Cervino's most recent pieces, which examine the course of his artistic career.

Cervino and Egan spoiled my guessing game last week when they told me which artworks they will choose. Now that I know, I'm especially interested to see what connections they'll make, and how they'll do it. From a 19th-century trompe l'oeil painting, to an early 20th-century allegorical sculpture, to a late-1930s industrial scene, the selected pieces are so varied in style, medium, and subject, it's difficult to guess at what they have in common. Cervino himself works across media and his often humorous sculptures experiment with trompe l'oeil —other than that, I'm at a loss!

If your curiosity is piqued too, join us at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday, August 15 as Anthony Cervino and Dr. Shannon Egan wrap up our Artist Talks for the summer. This program is presented in collaboration with CulturalDC.

Posted by Bridget on August 13, 2015 in In This Case: Luce Foundation Center