Archives

Stories for June 2017

A Photographer and a Writer Walk into a Museum

June 22, 2017

The other day, in my quest to look at works of art with fresh eyes, I asked a colleague to join me (that's one way to get new eyes) in a walk through the museum, and let me know what spoke to him.

Movies at SAAM: Summer 2017

June 20, 2017

Are you looking for something cool and entertaining to do this summer? Look no further! "Movies at SAAM" has got you covered. We're excited to bring you a wonderful lineup of movies and guest speakers that will provide a refreshing look into American art.

The Threads That Connect the Stars: Poet Martín Espada on His Father's Life and Work

June 16, 2017

Martín Espada's incantatory poetry reading at SAAM in honor of Down These Mean Streets: Community and Place in Urban Photography paid lasting tribute to his father, the documentary photographer Frank Espada (1930-2014), whose work is featured in the exhibition.

Luce Unplugged: Five Questions with Stephanie Williams and Matt Cohen

June 14, 2017

It's no secret that the District's music scene buzzes with diverse talent. Yet, how do we harness this creativity in the Luce Foundation Center? With help from DC Music Download's Stephanie Williams for our Thursday shows, and insight from Matt Cohen, arts editor for the Washington City Paper, for our Friday showcases!

Photography Encouraged: Imagination and Association

June 8, 2017

One of the best parts of my day is the time I set aside to search through the comments and photos people share with us on social media about the museum's artworks.