Stories for November 2007

Applying Comics

November 27, 2007

Bernice Ellis Lunder; The Comics Quilt; probably Omaha, Nebraska; 1935; cotton; appliquéd, embroidered, and quilted; Lent by the Stuhr Museum of the Prairie Pioneer, Grand Island. Explore this quilt in detail. Detail of Comic Quilt: Clarabella A few weeks ago...

Different Strokes: Helen Frankenthaler

November 26, 2007

Helen Frankenthaler's Small's Paradise I plan to make this post the first in a series on technique and medium. Paint. The stuff that gets under the artist’s fingernails, and can barely be scrubbed away. I love paint. I love color....

10,053!

November 20, 2007

Here's the spin on Sunday's festivities. Over ten thousand people (including lots of children) attended our Friends and Family festival marking the opening of the Kogod Courtyard. Eye Level blogged a record eight stories that day (whew!), documented with many...

Magic

November 18, 2007

With the new glass canopy in place, the courtyard itself becomes a place of changing light, in a sense, alive. Now, late in the day, the bright light of high noon has been replaced with mid- to late-afternoon light—a pale...

Music to My Ears

November 18, 2007

Museum intern Mary Savig did some sleuthing on the courtyard's sound: Usually we go to art museums to, well, look at art. Today, the Kogod Courtyard is a feast for both the eyes and the ears! As I walked amidst...