Stories for July 2008

Barbara Bosworth's Photographs: No Rush, Take Your Time

July 29, 2008

One of the most important things I've learned as a photographer is to slow down when looking at images. I've become so used to scanning visuals, from channel surfing to surfing the net, when I come upon photographs that ask...

Stan Brakhage's History Lesson

July 22, 2008

Still from 23rd Psalm, Branch (Part II). Courtesy of the Estate of Stan Brakhage and Fred Camper Stan Brakhage's film, 23rd Psalm, Branch (Part I) from his Song series is forty-four minutes of war footage interspersed with images of the...

Live from the Farmer's Market

July 21, 2008

Howard Cook's Summer Vegetables Inspired by Howard Cook's 1930 woodcut Summer Vegetables, I wandered through the farmer's market at Dupont Circle (fairly close to my home in downtown Washington, D.C.) in search of the same items that appear in Cook's...

Where Culture Meets Caffeine: Beck's Movie Palace at Art and Coffee

July 17, 2008

David Beck's Movie Palace And tonight the Oscar goes to . . . David Beck, best known at SAAM for two of his works, MVSEVM and Movie Palace; the latter is on view in the Luce Foundation Center for American...

Bill Viola: Life, Death, and Everything in Between

July 15, 2008

Bill Viola; The Passing; 1991; In memory of Wynne Lee Viola; Videotape, black-and-white, mono sound; 54 minutes Photo: Kira Perov Bill Viola's The Passing is fifty-four minutes of visual comment on the themes of birth, life, and death. At times...