Untitled

Stories for September 2011

Picture This: Something of Splendor

September 30, 2011

William Allman, curator of the White House tells a story about the Monroe Plateau, a centerpiece that adorned the dinner table at White House functions. In honor of the fiftieth anniversary of the White House Historical Association, established by First...

Sculpting a Career with Curator George Gurney

September 29, 2011

Edmonia Lewis's The Death of Cleopatra George Gurney, the nation’s foremost expert on American sculpture, is retiring after more than 36 years at the American Art Museum. He will be greatly missed, as a curator and friend! But before leaving,...

Behind the Scenes: We Only See Light

September 22, 2011

American Art's lighting designer, Scott Rosenfeld updates us on new developments in museum lighting. "We only see light." That's what Mr. Schoor, my high school physics teacher, told me and I thought he was full of it. He tried to...

Worlds Apart: Meryle Secrest on Amedeo Modigliani and Romaine Brooks

September 20, 2011

Romaine Brooks's Self-Portrait "I'm going to do something that I've never done before and that is to compare people who lived in the same place at the same time," said biographer Meryle Secrest the other night. Kicking off the 2011...

Luce Center: Pizza in a Pill?

September 16, 2011

Artist Carmen Wong's pizza in a pill, part of her artwork Tactile Dinner Car Pizza in a pill! Trust me, I tried one and it tasted like pizza. Artist Carmen Wong is the latest artist to grace the Luce Foundation...