Stories for October 2011

Picture This: In the Pumpkin Field at Lewes

October 31, 2011

James Barlett Rich's In the Pumpkin Field at Lewes (The Photographer's Wife, his Daughter, and Friends) In 1898, photographer James Bartlett Rich took this photo of his family and friends in a pumpkin field in Lewes, Delaware. It looks like...

The People Behind the Video Games: David Cage

October 27, 2011

Screen shot from Heavy Rain, 2010, Written and Directed by David Cage. Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. Exhibition coordinator Georgina Goodlander and curator Chris Melissinos conducted interviews with video game designers, developers, writers, and composers for the upcoming exhibition, The...

Combing the Nam June Paik Archive

October 25, 2011

October is National Archives Month and as such it gives us a chance to celebrate some of the unique archival holdings that the Smithsonian owns. Blogs across the Smithsonian are giving an inside look at the Institution's archival collections. Kathleen...

The Art of Video Games: A Sneak Peek

October 20, 2011

The Art of Video Games exhibition (opening March 16, 2012) will highlight images and footage from the 80 games that won the public vote in April, as well as five games that will be available for visitors to play for...

Elizabeth Peyton: A Passion for Beauty

October 18, 2011

Elizabeth Peyton - Photo by Bruce Guthrie "I think my work is more capable of articulating my thoughts and feelings than I'm willing to say. I'm going to let the work speak for itself," Elizabeth Peyton said at the beginning...